1.28.2009

Response

The battle of selflessness versus selfishness.

Yesterday two of my teachers (from different departments) said the same thing and both times I heard it, I caught myself repeating it in my head, as if it wasn't true.

"Don't do anything for me. Do everything for yourself... you'll be the happiest."

As many times as I roll it around I think, "so it's OK to be selfish?" I know this may seem really silly and probably nothing worth dwelling on, especially how I am doing it yet again while writing this post. But remember growing up and the concept of "sharing" was instilled into your brain? I believe the five letter word was plastered on my forehead as a child as a constant reminder. 

I told you this is silly, and I realize I have taken it all a little out of context or a little to far, but at it's core I really just took it literally. Each teacher was expressing, "write for yourself... design for yourself... do what makes you happy... make yourself happy first and then you really can be happy..."
As much as that makes sense it's hard for me to step back and realize; "I don't have to please everyone else first?"

I'm beginning to notice that when I am designing in the realm of my desires, I am much more creative and passionate about the work I do. If I am not happy with the work I am doing, then nothing comes together (i.e. the past assignment I posted). 

Wayne Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." If I play it safe and design to please everyone else, then I will never be satisfied with the end result, therefore I am challenging myself to go to take every shot I get because I never want the opportunity to miss if I didn't try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment