3.11.2009

Critique

This past weekend I worked on the department pages for tomorrow's issue of Vox. It was my second time to do the Short Talk section and I think it is going to look good. I had some difficulties with to m
uch text with one story and not enough for another and one story had a
n abundance of photos and the other did not, so it was a challenge to fit as much content as I could, while keeping the overall appearance of the department looking cohesive. I will post pictures of the short talk d
epartment tomorrow when I get the .pdf's. 
I was also working on a few logo projects this week. 
One is a campaign adve
rtising free testing for 
STDs to students at certain schools in the south (that's the summary of the project I got anyways). But once I got the slogan I was jotting things down left and right with ways to play with the typography and make it appealing both large and small.
 I used bold color to grab the attention of students as well as a recognizable font... Eurostile (the same, if not very close to the type family used by Trojan). It is a subtle but humorous spin that I took with the logo. Check it out. 

That must have been the theme of the week because I think I've been designing logos or at least thinking about logos all week. Another project I was working on was coming up with 20 different ideas with the intention of executing 10 of them. This posed both a helpful way of designing as well as a painful way to design. I started out assuming the obvious and was just putting ideas on paper, but then I started getting deeper and tried several different approaches for the logo and my ideas definitely evolved more as my brainstorming and execution process unfolded. The logo is for a mindfullness eating program for faculty and staff at Mizzou. It is to help relieve stress, help one enjoy 
eating and enjoy exercising. Promoting a healthy lifestyle is the overall goal of the program. I started by picking colors that are commonly seen in produce. Then I started playing with the letters and typefaces.  After working through this project and coming up with so many ideas on the front end I thought my execution process would be much quicker, which in reality it probably was considering I did ten different mockups. 

My conclusion after completing this 20/10 assignment is that developing logos is harder than it looks. Especially iconic logos that you know so well and are easily recognizable. Believe me, a lot of 
thought went into that target symbol for Target and the smiley face for Wal-mart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment