3.18.2009

two worlds collide

While I try my hardest not to think solely on New York 24/7, I am finding any and every excuse to talk or write about it. Including my google searches. This past week while everyone in our class discussed their thought process and ideal design environment, I realized many of us do things the same, as well as completely different. I for one like to have the TV on when I'm designing, but I keep it on mute. I keep earbuds in my ear, but don't always have music on. Lately the music has been classical symphonic romanticism. But not matter what I come up with to "get the juices flowing," the creativity is not going to come until it comes. And then the hyper-focus sets in and nothing can distract me.  Tonight I was typing anything and everything into Google to see if I could find things to inspire me. 
Try searching "typography clothing." 83,300 results appeared. American Apparel, a store I will not leave NYC without visiting (at least once) has a perfect example of clothing and typography -- mixed with a little helvetica of course -- that might be the understatement of the year. The only problem --- WHAT LETTER DO I CHOOSE???  
MM for Margaret Miles??? GG for Gossip Girl??? --- okay not seriously but it is, sad to admit, the highlight of my Monday's. 

Other favorite typographical apparel that I found consisted of numbers and with the "pet issue" for vox streaming through the back of my mind on a constant basis, I also found a shirt that represents ---- dog lovers of America. 

2 comments:

  1. haha, I blogged about this exact thing on my other blog! http://chelsealeee.blogspot.com/2008/12/american-apparel.html

    The possibilities for letter choice are seemingly endless; I was thinking Xx to rep my females, or Mm for delicious. or Zz for sleep, because we could all use a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those shirts. They are absolutely great! I would definitely scoop one of those up in a second!

    ReplyDelete