3.30.2009

Return to Reality

Getting away from Columbia for a few days was great. Being back in New York was great -- even though I always had GRE study cards, grammar notes, and my sketchbook with me, I was still able to relax, have fun and get away from the everyday stress that inevitably comes with the last six weeks of college. 

Most people imagine a vacation to be a getaway from reality, a time to be carefree and welcome laziness with open arms while practicing schedule-free days. On the contrary, I get bored... quickly when I take a "vacation" like that for more than... two to three days. For me, New York is a vacation. I don't have to be connected to my e-mail 24/7 because I can truthfully say, "I was on the subway and I didn't have a signal." It's so nice. Above all, I enjoy the fact that I can read more for pleasure when I am in the city opposed to any other time. Riding the subway is one of the best ways for me to de-stress and relax, it's a free opportunity for "me time." 

One of my New Year's resolutions was to read more, out side of school requirements that is. Last summer while I lived in the city I was finishing close to two books a week. I haven't been able to do that since I was in high school, if ever. When I am in Columbia, finding the time to read books leisurely is nearly impossible. I really think the subway is a big reason I like the city so much. I just have to get on, sit down, and ride -- not controlling a thing. I have no internet, no cell phone signal, nothing, and it's actually fantastic. Last week I was able to read a couple of books that I have been meaning to read for a while now. 

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture was the first book I read and could not put down. I read it walking in the city, sitting in the subway, eating lunch, pretty much anywhere I could. If 
you don't have time to read the book, at least check out the video on YouTube. It was inspiring to read this book while I was job hunting and searching for apartments. One of my favorite comments from Randy is this, "We can not change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."

I suggest picking up the book. It is a quick read and has thought filled information that will benefit you at any age, time or place in your life. 

Now that I am back in Columbia, after driving through a snow globe -- literally, driving from Kansas City airport to Columbia was full of snow
... so much for Spring! With only 47 days left until graduation I can't begin to get "senioritis," I have to much to do, and too little time to finish it all. 

We met this morning to present updates of our website projects with faculty and the publishing team. It went well and the feedback we received was helpful. I keep thinking that "once we get more concrete, this is will become easier," but I'm pretty sure I'll graduate before that happens and we are scheduled to finish in about a month. Deep breath. We'll get it all done... always do. Here are some of the redesign elements we worked on. Let us know your opinion on which you like, what you would change, etc. 

The Original: 


The Redesign:

2 comments:

  1. I have always had The Last Lecture on my "to read" list....I have watch the video and think it is absolutely incredible. Now I have to read the book! (Probably in about 6 weeks....) Glad NY was great! I completely agree with riding the subway...I love not having a phone signal and getting to just relax until I reach my stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the storage redesign — the text effect gives you that perfect image of the crazy OCD mom with the label-maker ready, poised in the air, just looking for something ANYTHING to label.

    ReplyDelete