2.11.2009

Check this out

typographer.org posted a link to Speak Up, with an interview with Dyana Weissman, a typeface designer. A great story of how she came to be a typeface designer and grew beyond the realm of graphic design. After attending an intensive summer program in 2000, Weissman said, "I was presented with challenges that when, I solved the problem, I felt this great feeling of accomplishment, that I hadn't been feeling in graphic design in awhile. It just felt right." 
After watching the documentary, Helvetica last week, the field of typography has grown beyond Times New Roman and Microsoft Word default fonts. Typography is an art, a strategic, detailed, precise, art. I do not think I have the patience to ever become a typeface designer, but after seeing the development, delicacy and time consuming process that it takes to to design a typeface is worth appreciating 100 times more than before. 
Read the entire interview here for more insight to the world of a typeface designer, and the daughter of a graphic designer. 


1 comment: