2.17.2009

Check this out

If you have to pick one magazine to buy this month... 

At home in the modern world: the never overstated motto of Dwell magazine hits the newsstands every month with a new execution of modernistic viewpoints from around the globe. As a designer, when I pick up dwell, it just feels good, literally: the paper is good quality and has a matte finish, which I might add I am a bit partial to, unless it happens to be high gloss, like Anthem but that is a whole different story.

Its more than a mixture of high quality photography and positive use of white space, Dwell has the ability to make anything have a

n artistic edge. One of the sell lines on March’s issue reads, “Why are the world’s best houses in Australia and New Zealand?” Turn to page 74 to find out

I am an avid reader of dwell and pick up an issue no matter what is on the cover but nine times out of 10 something usually sparks my interest because the general nature and content of the magazine appeals to me. Contrary to the sell line that I just mentioned, I did not really notice it on the newsstand. I read:

SMARTER

GREENER

MORE

DARING

and was intrigued. When I got home and pulled out my new book of inspiration to peel through, absorbing the content and design of the magazine I settled down on the couch and read the sell line about Australia and New Zealand, and honestly, I

 was ready to open to the contents page and find “SMARTER GREENER....” but below the sell line was another line of text: “turn to page 74 to find out.”

That caught my attention and instead of opening up the cover to find a typical Volkswagen ad, I skipped directly to page 74.

Seriously, go buy this magazine now and go to page 74 to see for yourself how fantastic the graphic illustrations are, but don’t stop there, your jaw will hit the floor when you turn the page. That is what I want to see when I pick up a magazine! The color combination of featured houses; architectural profiles of the unique structures are displayed in a wonderful organizational flow, with coordinating page numbers and details. Oh! It is so fantastic! Kudos dwell, you made my month!

I’m posting a snippet of the feature covering pages 74-114, but believe me, you need to see it for yourself and appreciate its beauty and design aesthetic. 

 And there is more info about the issue and feature on their website. Click here to go check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment