2.11.2009

Critique


Short Talk pg. 4
Originally uploaded by maggie searcy
I'm not a fast designer. A good thing? A bad thing? Does it really matter about speed of design -- putting aside the relevance of working on a deadline. But does it matter about the amount of time spent? If one person designs a draft or a department page in two hours versus someone who does it in five... it is really crucial? I guess it depends on the product, but like macro versus micro, I look at all the details in the beginning whereas I could and maybe I should design in a macro sense and focus on the larger picture in the beginning and follow up with the details in the end... time permitting.
To me the latter seems counter productive beacuase there is the possibility for poor execution and misunderstanding. By no means am I inquiring that my way is the right way, but is there a right way?
This past weekend I designed the short talk department for this week's issue of VOX. I do like my final product, but Sunday I was reminded of nearly all of the ramifications and guidelines that come with designing department pages. I was having flashbacks of what I learned, and struggled with in the beginning at Redbook: a great learning experience that is benefiting me greatly right now.

Starting before 11 o'clock Sunday morning I did not finish until nearly 4:30. Oh, the deadline for all department pages is 5; so I cut it a little close, but was even home before 5. So why am I worried? I'm not necessarily worried, just frustrated that it takes me so long. I was so worried about following the guidelines and the details laying out the spread.
Next time I design a department page for Short Talk, I hope to accomplish a good product quicker. Now that I have a better understanding of the rules and how "the rules can be broken," I believe I will have a better execution and use my time more wisely.

Click here for the second page of the spread.

1 comment:

  1. Maggie,

    I think you bring up a point that can help or hurt certain designers. I have worked on very strict time lines at the Missourian and loose ones with VOX features. I think it is difficult to be original and creative when under tight deadlines. But therein lies the challenge. If you can be, your superiors will love you for it. I had to design a front page last year in 10 minutes but was happy with the result. It's tough. I would much rather have a few days.

    ReplyDelete