2.08.2009

what's on your radar?


Do you ever catch yourself trying to figure out what license plates spell out? Does you're license plate have an acronym? My license plate is 404 HRM; my dad dubbed it "her royal majesty."
I've always seemed to pass time on road trips by looking at license plates. I know, really cool. But either looking at the car's state of origin, or finding humor in a Hawaii license plate, "SRFRCHC," surfer chic. Whenever I see a good one I wish I had my camera for documentation. Look at this website for a lot of
innovative vanity plates. For my typography assignment I walked around Columbia taking pictures of different license plates, getting a good mix of letters, colors, and states. Besides the funny looks and interest in what I was actually going to do with pictures of license plates, it was a fun way of figuring out more about residents in Columbia and the wide range of information about states merely from a license plate.
Did you know North Dakota was the Peace Garden State? I didn't, but now I do.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea of license plate art. You aren't the only one that passes time by looking at interesting personal plates. I hate when I can't figure out their meaning. Your typography turned out really cool, it has a nice vintage feel. It seems license plates always feel vintage, even when they're new. nice job!

    ReplyDelete